Most filling stations are operated by companies who have nothing to do with the fuel supplier - for example, Esso supply fuel to some Euro Garages forecourts, but Euro Garages operate the filling station themselves with their choice of shop.
However, sometimes, the fuel majors actually operate their own sites. This page explains the patterns by which you can usually identify whether a filling station is centrally-operated, rather than by a franchise or license basis.
On the motorway and A-road network, 'BP Express Shopping' operate many BP-branded forecourts, including:
- All M&S Simply Food branded stores (except Wetherby)
- All BP Connect branded stores (except Winchester)
- Any store with a Wild Bean Café concession (except Sutterton and Winchester)
Shell mainly operate filling stations under the "Select" fascia which usually comes with a food offering called Deli2go.
If the site is not:
- Attached to a Welcome Break service area
- Branded as Select Shop or Select Food Store rather than simply Select
- Branded as Spar, Londis, Mace or another branded offering,
Shell themselves should operate that site.
Restaurants and shops
All sites with Co-op Food branding on the shop (except Spalding), regardless of fuel branding, will be directly operated by the Co-op.
Costa operate no motorway sites, but they operate all A-road sites which are not:
- Located within an MFG or Rontec filling station
- Located at Dover Port, Gateway, Grantham North, Scotch Corner, Sutton Scotney and Thanet Way
KFC operate all sites which are not located at Welcome Break service areas. These include:
- All restaurants located at Extra sites
- Extra's former sites at Derby and Burton and Leicester North
- Markham Vale
- Every other A-road KFC restaurant listed on this site
McDonald's operate all sites which are:
- Located within a Welcome Break or Extra service area
- On the A-road network (except Sutton Scotney)
Starbucks operate all sites which are:
- Not advertised on premises as a Euro Garages, Welcome Break or 23.5 Degrees site
- Branded as Starbucks Coffee rather than "Proud to serve Starbucks"
Travelodge operate all sites which are located alongside a Little Chef or a former Little Chef (details can be found in the notes of each site).
WHSmith operate all sites which are:
All Cotton Traders, Fone Bitz, Ibis, Ibis Budget, Ladbrokes, Quicksilver, Top Gift and Travellers are centrally operated.
Corporate filling station sites on the motorway
These filling stations have nothing to do with the main operator of the site, so contact the fuel operator themselves if you have any queries.
- Annandale Water (A74(M))
- Burton-in-Kendal (M6)
- Clacket Lane (M25)
- Heart of Scotland (M8)
- Killington Lake (M6)
- Michaelwood (M5)
- Northampton (M1)
- Norton Canes (M6 Toll)
- Reading (M4)
- Rownhams (M27)
- South Mimms (M25) - main forecourt only
- Stafford (M6) - northbound only
- Strensham (M5) - southbound only
- Todhills (M6) - southbound only
- Watford Gap (M1)
- Baldock (A1(M))
- Beaconsfield (M40)
- Blackburn with Darwen (M65)
- Cambridge (A14)
- Chester (M56)
- Cobham (M25)
- Cullompton (M5)
- Durham (A1(M))
- Folkestone (M20)
- Happendon (M74)
- Peterborough (A1(M))
- Sedgemoor (M5) - southbound only
- Taunton Deane (M5)
- Tibshelf (M1)
- Tiverton (M5)
- Todhills (M6) - northbound only