User talk:Johnathan404/Archive 1
- 1 My Rating
- 2 East Bridgford
- 3 Woodal services:
- 4 File source
- 5 Moto Restaurant and brand names
- 6 Fictional service station
- 7 Re:Fictional service station
- 8 Site age
- 9 Roadchef history
- 10 Old versions
- 11 Swindon services - now open!
- 12 Messed up image
- 13 New plan picture idea for this site
- 14 Childrens play area
- 15 OK Diner
- 16 Forum error
- 17 BT WiFi
- 18 Moto WiFi
- 19 Fresh Food Cafe
- 20 Photos
- 21 BP Ultimate
- 22 Twitter
- 23 Strensham N Krispy Kreme (Texaco)
- 24 Krispy Kreme Template for BP
- 25 Shell/Starbucks D/T template
- 26 Edits tonight
- 27 Markfield Starbucks
- 28 Lymm Photos
- 29 how do you rename your user page???
- 30 how do you put a map on your page ????
- 31 What happened to the wimpy logo I uploaded??????????
- 32 Some questions for you
- 33 why are you editing my user page
- 34 are you still on sabre??
- 35 Spam on the forums
- 36 Lomondgate photo
- East Bridgford is an offical signposted services on A6097 so where does it fit? Check for yourself on Google Streetview 3/4 mile from junction. B.bill 17:30, 10 August 2011 (BST)B.bill 17:30 10/Aug/2011.
- Sorry, perhaps I was a bit too quick to lay down the law there. To be honest I agree that it's an odd one which doesn't really fit in at all.
I can't find any signs on Google Street View, but I assume I'm missing something. Let's not forget that the situation here is probably changing as we speak, so it's probably best until we know for sure what's happening.
In the past including a-road services was only a test and I was happy that we only had lists of signed services on the A1 and the A34. Although we've added many more roads since, I think it still stands that it means no harm is done if some signed services on relatively insignificant roads get left out.
- Try this http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=East+Bridgford&hl=en&ll=52.97395,-0.968814&spn=0.000651,0.001725&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=2.614855,7.064209&t=h&z=19 passed that way last weekend still there.
It's funny that you have uploaded some pictures of Woodal Services because I was in the southbound amenity building this saturday! I even took a couple of pictures to upload here. I've noticed Welcome Break's idea of security by having too many of those security scanners that you get in shops. I could not tell why they had ones in the toilets. This photo explains what I mean: File:142.jpg
Yes it is an unusual feature to a MSA where most either do not have one or it is well hidden.
Anyway, I have been looking on this site as a visitorfor a few months and I could not help joining so I created an account knowing when I would visit one and I soon uploaded my first photos to the wiki! I am just sort of... Facinated by these services on how good various ones are!
Gourleyo 19:18, 21 August 2011 (BST)
- Welcome to the site! I had to do a double-check for a minute as I took my photos on a Saturday, but it was the 13th. I was on the northbound side but went to southbound purely because I have too much time on my hands.
- I guess between us we're only adding to the number of cameras at Woodall!
OK, so I have decided to get around this by asking you to mabe delete the file of Bolton West when it was owned by the Kenning Motor Group. We are less likely to get in trouble if people look at the file in it's original location. Good luck!
Gourleyo 08:46, 26 August 2011 (BST)
Moto Restaurant and brand names
Up until when the Eat and Drink Co. came in at some services Moto had a Little Chef, at some they had Fresh Express, at many they just had a Moto Restaurant. For their shops some had Scoop (A self branded name) but many just had an unbranded Retail Store. Do you know why this was?
Gourleyo 16:14, 6 September 2011 (BST)
- When Moto services were owned by Granada, they all had a Granada-branded restaurant. Granada then decided to introduce Little Chef to the majority of their services: at some this replaced the restaurant, in others it was built next to it.
- I thought the Fresh Express brand was then applied to all Granada restaurants, but where the restaurant was part of a large servery, that servery carried the name 'Moto Restaurant'.
- I thought that Scoop was used in addition to the retail store at services with a large retail area.
Fictional service station
Hello, Johnny! Today I have made an A road service station in Google Sketchup which is of a Little Chef and a Burger King. The link is here. What do you think of it?
Gourleyo 17:22, 17 September 2011 (BST)
- Hello! Excellent, I've never thought of using Google Sketchup before, in fact I've never known anyone create 3D illustrations. I've created several fictional services before but these have always been in plan view. I've always joked that there should be an MSA video game, and you've just brought us one step closer! Johnathan404(talk) 16:48, 18 September 2011 (BST)
Re:Fictional service station
Johnny, your MSA video game idea would be great, esspecially for the PC. It could have gameplay similar to Sim City with a budget and a few advisors plus a new 3D interface which allows you from top to bottom create walkthroughs and people could come along and you could hover over them to read what their minds our thinking! There could even be a day/night feature and you could design it so the shop may be shut at midnight but open most of the day. I might have been able to make it if I was good at code. I am good at graphics but not neccasarily code. I might even if there was a version of this game have a few pre-installed models of existing services but change the branding to avoid copyright but still use the same room plan. The map below explains my top reccomendations for them.
<googlemap version="0.9" lat="51.483949" lon="-1.533966" type="map" zoom="4" selector="no" controls="large"> 52.057903, -2.14114, Strensham Originaly built in the 1960's, rebuilt in the early 2000's and has been a hit. 54.452527, -2.606313, Tebay One side opened in 1972, the other in 1993. 51.422551, -1.033401, Reading </googlemap>
Gourleyo 07:23, 19 September 2011 (BST)
- I think there have been more than enough Tycoon games to warrant developing this one! Airport Tycoon is a good model. Johnathan404(talk) 16:30, 19 September 2011 (BST)
How many years ago did this site get founded? The forums go all the way back to 2005 however the user contributions and photos go back to 2009 and the page histories go back about 2 months.
Gourleyo 19:30, 19 September 2011 (BST)
- In its current form, the site was founded in July 2007. This wasn't the first time I'd experimented with a website about motorway services, so some of the posts in the forums will probably pre-date this site as we know it.
- The ability to edit pages was only introduced in December 2009, this meant all the content had to be moved on to a new system with the dates starting fresh. Some photos on here have been used on previous sites as far back as 2005.
- To stop Site5 getting cross with the huge load we put on their server, the publicly viewable page histories are purged every couple of months.
I would imagine it was around the time of the new millenium but do you know the year that roadchef changed the funkier old logo to the more relaxed current one? Also do you know how long they have had a branded restaurant for and when they started to introduce Costa Coffee to most of their services?
Gourleyo 17:07, 21 September 2011 (BST)
- The latest document I have with their old logo on is dated May 2000, and the most recent use of their new one I can find is June 2003, so it was some time between then.
Roadchef have used their own restaurant for as long as I know, but it has changed names many times.
When you say that in it's current form the site was founded in 2007 but starting in 2009, you could edit pages, before you could edit pages did the site use the same interface?
Gourleyo 19:28, 26 September 2011 (BST)
Pretty much! One of the earliest designs for the site is archived here, but this was a temporary adaptation of what was already available. By February 2008 the more familiar design had been introduced, and on the face of it very little has changed since (behind the scenes things are very different). Most of the differences you can see there are down to limitations of the software that archived the page. Johnathan404(talk) 19:52, 26 September 2011 (BST)
Swindon services - now open!
Today I have made a model, again using Sketch Up which is a fictional Swindon Services, located Westbound only on the M4 between J16 and J17. The link to the PDF walkthrough is [here]. It's infact caught fire so this is only supposed to be a bunch of prefabs. Also, on Wayback Machine are there any links to older websites you experimented with services (as you said a few responses ago that this wasn't the first time you had experimented with it). If not do you remember what they were called? Also when did you start taking pictures of MSA's? Gourleyo 15:00, 1 October 2011 (BST)
- Bits of the old Take a Break site is archived here. A lot of my experimenting was done offline or behind a firewall. Johnathan404(talk) 18:03, 2 October 2011 (BST)
Messed up image
Hello, I uploaded an extra image I'd taken at Strensham a few months ago today and it appears to have messed up the recent pictures section on the main page and the thumbnails with it in but when you see the full size image it looks fine. Could you either delete the image or try and fix the problem. Gourleyo 08:58, 15 October 2011 (BST)
- There's a problem at my end - one of the processes aren't happening properly when a photo is uploaded. I had the same problem a couple of days ago.
- I'm currently working on it but can't be sure how long it will take as I don't know what the cause is. When it is fixed I will let you know but I'm afraid you will almost certainly have to upload your photo again. Sorry about this. Johnathan404 14:22, 15 October 2011 (BST)
- I've come up with a temporary fix and removed your photo for you. It should work now! Johnathan404 15:42, 15 October 2011 (BST)
New plan picture idea for this site
I've thought of a way people could get to know the customer layout of services without visiting them or looking at internal pictures - the MSA Plan. This idea could go below the Facilities paragraph on the articles with it but not in a new section. We could if so make an upload form specificly for them but for now I've just uploaded an image to an (almost) derilict wiki I founded that was very empty. Here is the photo I made of Strensham South:
What do you think? If you think this feature is good we should only apply it for services which we know well and ones we've been to. Also was this the rough plan you remember of the Southbound side? Gourleyo 17:10, 15 October 2011 (BST)
- Sorry to jump in, but that sounds like a great and really useful idea; perhaps you could even show how they have changed over time!?
- The Strensham South Plan looks largely correct, but when I visited in August I remember a second Costa lounge near the entrance and the toilets (or the mens anyway) being on the other side; however I might be wrong!! :O I have made a plan but am unsure how to upload the photo.
- Adpi 18:31, 15 October 2011 (BST)
Here we are, I've made a plan of how I believe it looked 5 years ago. I seem to remember that the Costa was up the other end with the Children's Play Area located in the servery. http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/gourleyo/images/d/d7/StrenshamPlanSouth2005.PNG
Gourleyo 20:17, 15 October 2011 (BST)
Adpi, to upload a photo click on the links menu in the sidebar. Good luck! Gourleyo 07:16, 16 October 2011 (BST)
- Here's the plan:500px
- Something else worth thinking about - all councils will have plans for MSAs in various stages in their development, and many of them are available to view online in varying qualities. I save as many of them as possible.
- I'm a bit cautious about this because I'm not sure what the case for it is, ie how people will benefit from it, bearing in mind that the site is getting quite unwieldy as it is, and this sounds like something that will be hard work to keep up-to-date. Personally, I think it would be more interesting to use it to show how services have changed over time, but there isn't much information available for that.
- Having said that, I suppose it's quite like the station plans that National Rail have (with immense detail and accuracy) for every station on their website. I don't see any harm with giving it a go if you can be sure you're doing it accurately. Johnathan404 14:55, 16 October 2011 (BST)
Childrens play area
I seem to remember that a few years ago where one of the Costa's once was at Strensham Southbound was a former childrens play area. I believe it may have been removed when the site was refurbished in 2008. Gourleyo 14:16, 16 October 2011 (BST)
- I don't know about that, but an outdoor play area had been proposed here since 2001. Johnathan404 14:55, 16 October 2011 (BST)
I mean a small indoor play area with a few toys and that's about it.
Have you ever eaten in an OK Diner. If so what was it like and have you ever passed one? Gourleyo 18:52, 17 October 2011 (BST)
- I've never been in one, no - I've never had any reason to. I've driven past the one at Burton on the A38 if that counts, but to be honest I didn't even notice it at the time (this was before the days that we discussed such things). Johnathan404 20:18, 17 October 2011 (BST)
Hello, I'm using this because the forums aren't working. What's happening is that you get this:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /home/tabmsasc/public_html/forums/cache/tpl_subsilver2_overall_header.html.php on line 212. Could you try and get them back up. I'm not sure if it's Site5 or not causing the problem. Gourleyo 16:38, 30 October 2011 (GMT)
- Thanks for this. Not to worry, it was me pressing the wrong button! It should all be working now. Johnathan404 17:06, 30 October 2011 (GMT)
Johhny shall I still make the page for BT WiFi or not?? user:Rich
- Good question, I suppose it's a judgement call.
It's not Spectrum Interactive is it?? user:Rich
- Yep, I think that's them! Although I was also half-wrong: I've just checked my phone and the network ID is indeed 'Moto FREE WIFI', whereas I could have sworn it was something else. Even so, you and me know it isn't really theirs. ;)
- I'll just leave it as Moto Free WiFi then shall I?? user:Rich
- I don't mind - the situation wasn't how I thought it was! I suppose really Moto WiFi is the product people are using, so we should refer to it as such, in the same way that we call them Moto and not Moto Hospitality or even Macquarie Bank.
- Although it does mean we're going to have to agree on a spelling of 'Wifi' :P Johnathan404 20:10, 6 July 2012 (BST)
Fresh Food Cafe
John mate, I like to make shit up to make us sound good :P User:rich 18:20, 21st July 2012
- Sorry mate, it doesn't work like that. When we get caught getting it wrong - or worse still, lying - we don't sound good at all. It's unprofessional, and undoes all the hard work that many people have gone in to making this site professional. Roadchef, lorry drivers, journalists, and many more professions all come to this website for a reason, and I really don't want to lose them.
- I know the situation with Fresh Food Cafe because Roadchef have told me (and I shared it in the forums and will add it to the main site later). The reason I asked was because I was quite surprised that Roadchef would make a decision on it without telling me. Fortunately they hadn't. Let's keep it that way, and keep it that way by not lying about them.
- Sorry to be heavy-handed but "making shit up" is quite a silly thing to do; even Wikipedia would ban you for it. If you want to speculate, please keep it to the forums.
- Thanks. Johnathan404 18:32, 21 July 2012 (BST)
- Sorry John, that was a bit over the top and I'll try and keep my opinions in the forums :) user:rich 22nd July 2012 18.12
- Don't worry about it. :) Johnathan404 19:44, 22 July 2012 (BST)
Alright Johnny, Could you delete three pictures I uploaded last Monday as they were too big for the site and have messed up the photos pages?? Cheers user:Rich 11/08/12 14.09 (GMT)
- Hi Rich, I'm ridiculously busy this weekend but it was on my to-do list. As it happens I just logged in to do it and only saw your message afterwards! Johnathan404 00:32, 12 August 2012 (BST)
Okay then Johnny, I wont carry on with it :L user:Rich
Johnny, can you sort out the link to my Twitter page on my User Page, Thanks :) user:Rich 08/09/2012 21:13
- Oh dear, looks like there's a bug there. It will only search for the Twitter link if you include a website. I'll have a look at that one later. Johnathan404 17:25, 9 September 2012 (BST)
- Cheers Johnny :) user:Rich 09/09/2012 17:24
Strensham N Krispy Kreme (Texaco)
Why was the Krispy Kreme deleted?? user:Rich 12/09/2012 20:16 BST
- It wasn't - it's still in the code. I changed it from being hand-coded to using the template, but the Texaco template wasn't set to understand Krispy Kreme. It would have disappeared from the page for two minutes while I updated the Texaco template, and it's back now. Johnathan404 20:27, 12 September 2012 (BST)
- Ahh, sorry my eager eyes catch quick things like that, Sorry user:Rich 12/09/2012 20:21 (BST)
- Keep those eyes peeled! :D Johnathan404 20:42, 12 September 2012 (BST)
Krispy Kreme Template for BP
Hi John, the template doesn't seem to be working user:Rich 17/09/2012 18:06 (BST)
Shell/Starbucks D/T template
Johnny, the whole Starbucks in the Shell filling station thing is misleading, they are not part of the filling stations, they are separate units user:Rich, 13/08/2013 23:17 (BST)
- Good point, guess I got a bit carried away. I'll see what can be done to improve it. Johnathan404 21:06, 14 August 2013 (BST)
Johnny, no problem, do we know who this BurgerKing is? User:Rich 21:13, 29 April 2014 (BST)
- Hi, thank you for your response. I understand. In a couple of hours I will have photos of the services online. See this as an unwanted lesson - the operator's websites are often the least accurate of them all! Johnathan404 (talk) 13:36, 7 June 2014 (BST)
Before you take down my photos, I have had permission from Pete from the GB Motorway Services app who sent me the photos and he said it was fine for me to upload them on his behalf. User:Rich, 22:13, 24 June 2014 (BST)
- They're credited to Pete so you're already doing better than some of the photos I've had to remove. Thanks for the heads up anyway. Johnathan404 (talk) 22:04, 25 June 2014 (BST)
how do you rename your user page???
- You can't rename your user page - it needs to be the same as your username or it won't be yours! If you want to change your whole username, let me know what you want it changed to. Johnathan404 (talk) 23:47, 14 August 2014 (BST)
how do you put a map on your page ????
- Best way is to click 'edit' on the page of somebody who has it and copy their code! That's the easiest way to learn wikicode. Johnathan404 (talk) 21:41, 19 August 2014 (BST)
What happened to the wimpy logo I uploaded??????????
- Because you keep listing it as a photo, and I am listing it as a picture, which is what it is. Also please read Quinny's reply to your comment above. Johnathan404 (talk) 21:20, 27 August 2014 (BST)
- Exactly. So it shouldn't be classified with the photos!
- Thank you. It's discussing the pitfalls of posting company's logos on other people's websites. Which we all need to be aware of! Johnathan404 (talk) 18:39, 29 August 2014 (BST)
Some questions for you
- This is the same as the comments on your page about the Granada picture. They are NOT photographs and should not be in that category - a photo is taken with a camera. This is what the 'normal' box is for on the upload form. Johnathan404 (talk) 20:59, 15 September 2014 (BST)
- We cannot use our webspace to advertise other websites I'm afraid! Johnathan404 (talk) 20:59, 15 September 2014 (BST)
why are you editing my user page
Hey why are you editing my user page ?
- Not a clue. I was on my phone and didn't realise I'd hit that one. My apologies. Johnathan404 (talk) 18:37, 26 September 2014 (BST)
are you still on sabre??
Spam on the forums
There's some spam on the "MSA news" and "Brands and Operators" which redirect to porn sites. There's about three views on each post and they are all by different accounts. Bmf1027 (talk) 08:36, 11 August 2015 (BST)