In the early days of motorway service area planning, many developers believed they would secure more contracts if they could incorporate their footbridge into the main building design.
This is is a list of services which allow you to cross from one side of the road to the other, without leaving the first amenity building. From an operational point of view, having the bridge helps, but it can be a nuisance when it comes to maintaining and repairing it.
There are no A-road examples.
List of internal footbridges
The following motorway service areas have internal footbridges:
- Charnock Richard (M6 between J27 and J28)
- Corley (M6 between J3 and J3A)
- Fleet (M3 between J4A and J5)
- Hilton Park (M6 between J10A and J11)
- Keele (M6 between J15 and J16)
- Knutsford (M6 between J18 and J19)
- Lancaster (M6 between J32 and J33)
- Leicester Forest East (M1 between J21 and J21A)
- Medway (M2 between J4 and J5)
- Newport Pagnell (M1 between J14 and J15)
- Trowell (M1 between J25 and J26)
- Washington (A1(M) between J64 and J65)
- Woodall (M1 between J30 and J31)