I'm still Johnny! I just renamed my account so that it links in with what I use on other websites.
If you have any trouble editing the Wiki or want to ask a question, feel free to leave me a note here. Please end your message with four tildes (~~~~) to add your name and the time. Johnathan404 14:37, 16 May 2009 (UTC)
Previous posts, debates and arguments have been archived.
- 1 Swindon services - now open!
- 2 Messed up image
- 3 New plan picture idea for this site
- 4 Childrens play area
- 5 OK Diner
- 6 Forum error
- 7 BT WiFi
- 8 Moto WiFi
- 9 Fresh Food Cafe
- 10 Photos
- 11 BP Ultimate
- 12 Twitter
- 13 Strensham N Krispy Kreme (Texaco)
- 14 Krispy Kreme Template for BP
- 15 Shell/Starbucks D/T template
- 16 Edits tonight
- 17 Markfield Starbucks
- 18 Lymm Photos
- 19 how do you rename your user page???
- 20 how do you put a map on your page ????
- 21 What happened to the wimpy logo I uploaded??????????
- 22 Some questions for you
- 23 why are you editing my user page
- 24 are you still on sabre??
- 25 Spam on the forums
- 26 Lomondgate photo
- 27 Fleet WHSmith
- 28 Woodall Bridge
Swindon services - now open!
Today I have made a model, again using Sketch Up which is a fictional Swindon Services, located Westbound only on the M4 between J16 and J17. The link to the PDF walkthrough is [here]. It's infact caught fire so this is only supposed to be a bunch of prefabs. Also, on Wayback Machine are there any links to older websites you experimented with services (as you said a few responses ago that this wasn't the first time you had experimented with it). If not do you remember what they were called? Also when did you start taking pictures of MSA's? Gourleyo 15:00, 1 October 2011 (BST)
- Bits of the old Take a Break site is archived here. A lot of my experimenting was done offline or behind a firewall. Johnathan404(talk) 18:03, 2 October 2011 (BST)
Messed up image
Hello, I uploaded an extra image I'd taken at Strensham a few months ago today and it appears to have messed up the recent pictures section on the main page and the thumbnails with it in but when you see the full size image it looks fine. Could you either delete the image or try and fix the problem. Gourleyo 08:58, 15 October 2011 (BST)
- There's a problem at my end - one of the processes aren't happening properly when a photo is uploaded. I had the same problem a couple of days ago.
- I'm currently working on it but can't be sure how long it will take as I don't know what the cause is. When it is fixed I will let you know but I'm afraid you will almost certainly have to upload your photo again. Sorry about this. Johnathan404 14:22, 15 October 2011 (BST)
- I've come up with a temporary fix and removed your photo for you. It should work now! Johnathan404 15:42, 15 October 2011 (BST)
New plan picture idea for this site
I've thought of a way people could get to know the customer layout of services without visiting them or looking at internal pictures - the MSA Plan. This idea could go below the Facilities paragraph on the articles with it but not in a new section. We could if so make an upload form specificly for them but for now I've just uploaded an image to an (almost) derilict wiki I founded that was very empty. Here is the photo I made of Strensham South:
What do you think? If you think this feature is good we should only apply it for services which we know well and ones we've been to. Also was this the rough plan you remember of the Southbound side? Gourleyo 17:10, 15 October 2011 (BST)
- Sorry to jump in, but that sounds like a great and really useful idea; perhaps you could even show how they have changed over time!?
- The Strensham South Plan looks largely correct, but when I visited in August I remember a second Costa lounge near the entrance and the toilets (or the mens anyway) being on the other side; however I might be wrong!! :O I have made a plan but am unsure how to upload the photo.
- Adpi 18:31, 15 October 2011 (BST)
Here we are, I've made a plan of how I believe it looked 5 years ago. I seem to remember that the Costa was up the other end with the Children's Play Area located in the servery. http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/gourleyo/images/d/d7/StrenshamPlanSouth2005.PNG
Gourleyo 20:17, 15 October 2011 (BST)
Adpi, to upload a photo click on the links menu in the sidebar. Good luck! Gourleyo 07:16, 16 October 2011 (BST)
- Something else worth thinking about - all councils will have plans for MSAs in various stages in their development, and many of them are available to view online in varying qualities. I save as many of them as possible.
- I'm a bit cautious about this because I'm not sure what the case for it is, ie how people will benefit from it, bearing in mind that the site is getting quite unwieldy as it is, and this sounds like something that will be hard work to keep up-to-date. Personally, I think it would be more interesting to use it to show how services have changed over time, but there isn't much information available for that.
- Having said that, I suppose it's quite like the station plans that National Rail have (with immense detail and accuracy) for every station on their website. I don't see any harm with giving it a go if you can be sure you're doing it accurately. Johnathan404 14:55, 16 October 2011 (BST)
Childrens play area
I seem to remember that a few years ago where one of the Costa's once was at Strensham Southbound was a former childrens play area. I believe it may have been removed when the site was refurbished in 2008. Gourleyo 14:16, 16 October 2011 (BST)
- I don't know about that, but an outdoor play area had been proposed here since 2001. Johnathan404 14:55, 16 October 2011 (BST)
I mean a small indoor play area with a few toys and that's about it.
Have you ever eaten in an OK Diner. If so what was it like and have you ever passed one? Gourleyo 18:52, 17 October 2011 (BST)
- I've never been in one, no - I've never had any reason to. I've driven past the one at Burton on the A38 if that counts, but to be honest I didn't even notice it at the time (this was before the days that we discussed such things). Johnathan404 20:18, 17 October 2011 (BST)
Hello, I'm using this because the forums aren't working. What's happening is that you get this:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /home/tabmsasc/public_html/forums/cache/tpl_subsilver2_overall_header.html.php on line 212. Could you try and get them back up. I'm not sure if it's Site5 or not causing the problem. Gourleyo 16:38, 30 October 2011 (GMT)
- Thanks for this. Not to worry, it was me pressing the wrong button! It should all be working now. Johnathan404 17:06, 30 October 2011 (GMT)
Johhny shall I still make the page for BT WiFi or not?? user:Rich
- Good question, I suppose it's a judgement call.
It's not Spectrum Interactive is it?? user:Rich
- Yep, I think that's them! Although I was also half-wrong: I've just checked my phone and the network ID is indeed 'Moto FREE WIFI', whereas I could have sworn it was something else. Even so, you and me know it isn't really theirs. ;)
- I'll just leave it as Moto Free WiFi then shall I?? user:Rich
- I don't mind - the situation wasn't how I thought it was! I suppose really Moto WiFi is the product people are using, so we should refer to it as such, in the same way that we call them Moto and not Moto Hospitality or even Macquarie Bank.
- Although it does mean we're going to have to agree on a spelling of 'Wifi' :P Johnathan404 20:10, 6 July 2012 (BST)
Fresh Food Cafe
John mate, I like to make shit up to make us sound good :P User:rich 18:20, 21st July 2012
- Sorry mate, it doesn't work like that. When we get caught getting it wrong - or worse still, lying - we don't sound good at all. It's unprofessional, and undoes all the hard work that many people have gone in to making this site professional. Roadchef, lorry drivers, journalists, and many more professions all come to this website for a reason, and I really don't want to lose them.
- I know the situation with Fresh Food Cafe because Roadchef have told me (and I shared it in the forums and will add it to the main site later). The reason I asked was because I was quite surprised that Roadchef would make a decision on it without telling me. Fortunately they hadn't. Let's keep it that way, and keep it that way by not lying about them.
- Sorry to be heavy-handed but "making shit up" is quite a silly thing to do; even Wikipedia would ban you for it. If you want to speculate, please keep it to the forums.
- Thanks. Johnathan404 18:32, 21 July 2012 (BST)
- Sorry John, that was a bit over the top and I'll try and keep my opinions in the forums :) user:rich 22nd July 2012 18.12
- Don't worry about it. :) Johnathan404 19:44, 22 July 2012 (BST)
Alright Johnny, Could you delete three pictures I uploaded last Monday as they were too big for the site and have messed up the photos pages?? Cheers user:Rich 11/08/12 14.09 (GMT)
- Hi Rich, I'm ridiculously busy this weekend but it was on my to-do list. As it happens I just logged in to do it and only saw your message afterwards! Johnathan404 00:32, 12 August 2012 (BST)
Okay then Johnny, I wont carry on with it :L user:Rich
Johnny, can you sort out the link to my Twitter page on my User Page, Thanks :) user:Rich 08/09/2012 21:13
- Oh dear, looks like there's a bug there. It will only search for the Twitter link if you include a website. I'll have a look at that one later. Johnathan404 17:25, 9 September 2012 (BST)
- Cheers Johnny :) user:Rich 09/09/2012 17:24
Strensham N Krispy Kreme (Texaco)
Why was the Krispy Kreme deleted?? user:Rich 12/09/2012 20:16 BST
- It wasn't - it's still in the code. I changed it from being hand-coded to using the template, but the Texaco template wasn't set to understand Krispy Kreme. It would have disappeared from the page for two minutes while I updated the Texaco template, and it's back now. Johnathan404 20:27, 12 September 2012 (BST)
- Ahh, sorry my eager eyes catch quick things like that, Sorry user:Rich 12/09/2012 20:21 (BST)
- Keep those eyes peeled! :D Johnathan404 20:42, 12 September 2012 (BST)
Krispy Kreme Template for BP
Hi John, the template doesn't seem to be working user:Rich 17/09/2012 18:06 (BST)
Shell/Starbucks D/T template
Johnny, the whole Starbucks in the Shell filling station thing is misleading, they are not part of the filling stations, they are separate units user:Rich, 13/08/2013 23:17 (BST)
- Good point, guess I got a bit carried away. I'll see what can be done to improve it. Johnathan404 21:06, 14 August 2013 (BST)
Johnny, no problem, do we know who this BurgerKing is? User:Rich 21:13, 29 April 2014 (BST)
- Hi, thank you for your response. I understand. In a couple of hours I will have photos of the services online. See this as an unwanted lesson - the operator's websites are often the least accurate of them all! Johnathan404 (talk) 13:36, 7 June 2014 (BST)
Before you take down my photos, I have had permission from Pete from the GB Motorway Services app who sent me the photos and he said it was fine for me to upload them on his behalf. User:Rich, 22:13, 24 June 2014 (BST)
- They're credited to Pete so you're already doing better than some of the photos I've had to remove. Thanks for the heads up anyway. Johnathan404 (talk) 22:04, 25 June 2014 (BST)
how do you rename your user page???
- You can't rename your user page - it needs to be the same as your username or it won't be yours! If you want to change your whole username, let me know what you want it changed to. Johnathan404 (talk) 23:47, 14 August 2014 (BST)
- Done. Johnathan404 (talk) 11:22, 15 August 2014 (BST)
how do you put a map on your page ????
- Best way is to click 'edit' on the page of somebody who has it and copy their code! That's the easiest way to learn wikicode. Johnathan404 (talk) 21:41, 19 August 2014 (BST)
What happened to the wimpy logo I uploaded??????????
- Indeed, thanks. Although I should add that nothing's happened to it - it's still there! Johnathan404 (talk) 08:00, 23 August 2014 (BST)
- Because you keep listing it as a photo, and I am listing it as a picture, which is what it is. Also please read Quinny's reply to your comment above. Johnathan404 (talk) 21:20, 27 August 2014 (BST)
- Exactly. So it shouldn't be classified with the photos!
- Thank you. It's discussing the pitfalls of posting company's logos on other people's websites. Which we all need to be aware of! Johnathan404 (talk) 18:39, 29 August 2014 (BST)
Some questions for you
- This is the same as the comments on your page about the Granada picture. They are NOT photographs and should not be in that category - a photo is taken with a camera. This is what the 'normal' box is for on the upload form. Johnathan404 (talk) 20:59, 15 September 2014 (BST)
- We cannot use our webspace to advertise other websites I'm afraid! Johnathan404 (talk) 20:59, 15 September 2014 (BST)
why are you editing my user page
Hey why are you editing my user page ?
- Not a clue. I was on my phone and didn't realise I'd hit that one. My apologies. Johnathan404 (talk) 18:37, 26 September 2014 (BST)
- PS Cobham Eat In is a Welcome Break site. Johnathan404 (talk) 18:39, 26 September 2014 (BST)
are you still on sabre??
- Yes I am. Johnathan404 (talk) 20:17, 20 October 2014 (BST)
Spam on the forums
There's some spam on the "MSA news" and "Brands and Operators" which redirect to porn sites. There's about three views on each post and they are all by different accounts. Bmf1027 (talk) 08:36, 11 August 2015 (BST)
- Done. I'm not sure what was causing the problem but have fixed a similar problem which was caused by the site. Johnathan404 (talk) 11:56, 31 August 2015 (BST)
- It definitely has Costa Express. I didn't see a Krispy Kreme stand but then I wasn't looking for one, and there is definitely Krispy Kreme over the bridge. Johnathan404 (talk) 22:14, 14 January 2017 (GMT)
When I saw your edit about the BK/McD's scenario at Woodall with regards to the bridge (I apologise for not making that clearer; I know that Fleet will be the same when the bridge is re-connected to the southbound building), it reminded me of something. When I visited Woodall in 2015, there was a lot of work going on in the southbound building. This involved moving the toilets to an external portacabin next to the entrance and minimizing the size of the Waitrose store, I noticed that there was no bridge access to the other service area on the northbound carriageway. Do you know when this was reconnected? Thank you. Barnaby (talk) 20:17, 21 May 2017 (BST)
- I think you've been there more recently than me! It wasn't me who set it as being fully internal. I do know that by April 2016 it still hadn't been connected. Johnathan404 (talk) 17:29, 22 May 2017 (BST)