Own-brands (or Self-brand) are owned and operated by the main facilities provider, unlike franchises, own-brands are able to take all income from sales and will pay no commission for use of a name. MSA's started by running own branded facilities, but MSA's use of these brands are declining as the consumer seems to prefer known high-street brands and the standards which they portray. Some own-brands trade on their owners brand and others are created brands owned by the operator.
It can also be noted that the main operators still use own-brand restaurants, but have found to maintain custom without the licence name use, has required multiple re-branding in order to increase footfall.
More recent examples of own-brands:
- Arlo's - Moto restaurant
- The Burger Company - Roadchef's take on fast food
- Coffee Primo - former Welcome Break coffee shop
- Eat & Drink Co - Moto restaurant
- Eat In - former Welcome Break restaurant
- Entrempts - former Extra restaurant
- Hot Food Co. - Roadchef restaurant
- Fresh Food Café - Roadchef cafe
- Pizza Piazza
- reStore - former Roadchef shop