Most filling stations are operated by companies who have nothing to do with the fuel supplier - for example, Esso supply fuel to some Euro Garages forecourts, but Euro Garages operate the filling station themselves with their choice of shop.
However, sometimes, the fuel majors actually operate their own sites. This page explains the patterns by which you can usually identify whether a filling station is centrally-operated, rather than by a franchise or license basis.
On the motorway and A-road network, 'BP Express Shopping' operate many BP-branded forecourts.
- All M&S Simply Food branded stores (except Wetherby)
- Any store with a Wild Bean Café concession (except Sutterton and Winchester)
Although Esso's retail subsidiary has mostly pulled out of the UK, they still have joint venture sites with Tesco.
These include all Tesco Express stores within Esso forecourts.
Shell mainly operate petrol stations under the "Select" fascia which usually comes with a food offering called Deli2go. These all have Costa Express machines inside them.
- Select stores (except those located within Welcome Break service areas)
- 'Little Waitrose at Shell Select' branded stores
- Budgens stores with a Deli2go range inside
Restaurants and shops
Co-op operate many A-road services.
- Texaco stations with Co-op shops
- Co-op Petrol sites
However, Co-op don't operate any sites with Gulf fuel branding.
Costa operate sites which are located at few a-road service areas and have no motorway sites. These exclude:
- Cafés located within an MFG or Rontec filling station
- Dover Port, Gateway, Grantham North, Scotch Corner, Sutton Scotney and Thanet Way
- "Proud to serve" units located within Premier Inn hotels
KFC operate all sites which are not located at Welcome Break service areas. These include:
- All restaurants located at Extra sites
- Extra's former sites at Derby and Burton and Leicester North
- Markham Vale
- Every other A-road KFC restaurant listed on this site
McDonald's operate all sites which are located within Welcome Break service areas, most Extra service areas and most a-road service areas. These exclude:
Starbucks operate all sites which are:
- Not advertised on premises as a Euro Garages, Welcome Break or 23.5 Degrees site
- Branded as Starbucks rather than "We proudly serve Starbucks"
Travelodge operate all sites which are located alongside an EG Diner or a former Little Chef (details can be found in the notes of each site).
WHSmith operate all sites which are:
All Cotton Traders, Fone Bitz, Ladbrokes, Quicksilver, Top Gift and Travellers are centrally operated.
Corporate filling station sites on the motorway
These filling stations have nothing to do with the main operator of the site, so contact the fuel operator themselves if you have any queries.
- Annandale Water (A74(M))
- Clacket Lane (M25)
- Heart of Scotland (M8)
- Killington Lake (M6)
- Michaelwood (M5)
- Northampton (M1)
- Norton Canes (M6 Toll)
- Reading (M4)
- Rownhams (M27)
- Sandbach (M6)
- South Mimms (M25) - main forecourt only
- Stafford (M6) - northbound only
- Strensham (M5) - southbound only
- Todhills (M6) - southbound only
- Watford Gap (M1)