Most filling stations are operated by companies who have nothing to do with the fuel supplier - for example, Esso supply fuel to some Euro Garages forecourts, but Euro Garages operate the filling station themselves with their choice of shop.
However, sometimes, the fuel majors actually operate their own sites. This page explains the patterns by which you can usually identify whether a filling station is centrally-operated, rather than by a franchise or license basis.
On the motorway and A-road network, 'BP Express Shopping' operate many BP-branded forecourts.
- All M&S Simply Food branded stores (except Wetherby)
- Any store with a Wild Bean Café concession (except Winchester)
Shell mainly operate petrol stations under the 'Select' fascia which usually comes with a food offering called deli by Shell. These all have Costa Express machines inside them.
- Select stores (except those located within Welcome Break service areas)
- 'Little Waitrose at Shell Select' branded stores
- Budgens stores with a deli by Shell range inside
Restaurants and shops
Co-op operate many A-road services.
- Texaco stations with Co-op shops
- Co-op Petrol sites
However, Co-op don't operate any sites with Gulf fuel branding.
Costa operate sites which are located at few A-road service areas.
Costa doesn't operate:
- Any motorway cafés
- Cafés located within petrol stations
- Cafés in Premier Inn hotels
- Dover Port, Gateway, Grantham North, Scotch Corner, Sutton Scotney and Thanet Way
KFC operate all sites which are not located at Welcome Break service areas. These include:
- All restaurants located at Extra sites
- Extra's former sites at Derby and Burton and Leicester North
- Markham Vale
- Every other A-road KFC restaurant listed on this site
Starbucks operate all sites which are:
- Not advertised on premises as a Euro Garages, Welcome Break or 23.5 Degrees site
- Branded as Starbucks rather than "We proudly serve Starbucks"
WHSmith operate all sites which are:
Corporate filling station sites on the motorway
These filling stations have nothing to do with the main operator of the site, so contact the fuel operator themselves if you have any queries.
- Annandale Water (A74(M))
- Clacket Lane (M25)
- Heart of Scotland (M8)
- Killington Lake (M6)
- Michaelwood (M5)
- Northampton (M1)
- Norton Canes (M6 Toll)
- Reading (M4)
- Rownhams (M27)
- Sandbach (M6)
- South Mimms (main forecourt only) (M25)
- Stafford northbound (M6)
- Strensham southbound (M5)
- Todhills southbound (M6)
- Watford Gap (M1)