Changing Places at Motorway Services
Changing Places toilets have been fitted to motorway service areas since 2011, but progress providing more was slow. A high-profile campaign brought attention to the shortcomings of traditional disabled toilet facilities.
After the Cherwell Valley trial, in 2016 all three of the main operators agreed to provide Changing Places facilities whenever a refurbishment allows for it. The three had suggested they would be willing to work together to ensure that the main motorways were covered as quickly as possible.
Throughout 2019, the Department for Transport awarded funding to transport hubs looking to install a new Changing Places toilet. This funding was provided in partnership with Muscular Dystrophy UK, under the government's Inclusive Transport Strategy. As of 2020, it's expected that 22 new facilities will be built.
The last service area to open without any disabled toilets at all was Scotch Corner in 1980. Things have come far since then, but still have a long way to go. There have been suggestions that the operators will be working together to ensure that, between them, the whole motorway network has a good coverage of accessible toilet facilities.
Services With Changing Places
The following services are listed in our database as having a Changing Places facility.
You can view more information by tapping on the name of the service area. You can also customise your search by ensuring that the 'Changing Places' box is ticked when you search our database. Unlike our normal policy, for this list we have marked services as "northbound only" (or similar) even if there is a bridge between the two sides.
- Annandale Water (A74(M) at J16)
- Baldock (A1(M)/A1 at J10)
- Beaconsfield (M40 at J2)
- Cairn Lodge (M74 at J11 and J12)
- Cambridge (A14 at J24 and J24A)
- Charnock Richard (M6 between J27 and J28) (northbound only)
- Cherwell Valley (M40 at J10 and A43)
- Clacket Lane (M25 between J5 and J6) (eastbound only)
- Cobham (M25 between J9 and J10)
- Corley (M6 between J3 and J3A)
- Cornwall (A30 near Roche)
- Donington (M1 at J23A and J24, A42 and A50)
- Exeter (M5 at J30)
- Fleet (M3 between J4A and J5)
- Gloucester (M5 between J11A and J12) (southbound only)
- Gordano (M5 at J19)
- Heston (M4 between J2 and J3)
- Hilton Park (M6 between J10A and J11)
- Hopwood Park (M42 at J2)
- Keele (M6 between J15 and J16) (southbound only)
- Knutsford (M6 between J18 and J19)
- Leeds Skelton Lake (M1 at J45)
- Leigh Delamere (M4 between J17 and J18)
- Medway (M2 between J4 and J5)
- Membury (M4 between J14 and J15) (westbound only)
- Newport Pagnell (M1 between J14 and J15) (northbound only)
- Norton Canes (M6 Toll between JT6 and JT7)
- Reading (M4 between J11 and J12)
- Rugby (M6 at J1)
- Sarn Park (M4 at J36)
- South Mimms (M25 at J23 and A1(M) at J1)
- Southwaite (M6 between J41 and J42) (northbound only)
- Thurrock (M25 at J30 and J31, A13 and A282)
- Toddington (M1 between J11A and J12) (northbound only)
You may wish to run this search again, but with new criteria.